<span class="highlight">driver</span> <span class="highlight">training</span>

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 19:42
ThreadID: 66011 Views:3574 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to Cape York this summer in my x trail and need some off road experience. can anyone recommend a drive training course close to parramatta. And would the x trail handle the trip. I am looking at doing a tag along trip

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: shaneo86 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 19:57

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 19:57
i was thinking the same thing about the tagalong but they are soo $$$ around 2,000 for one of them and i dont think that was food or that cheaper to just go upp and find someone to go with up there is the x-trail auto? if so i would be yeah 1/2 and what tyers im thinking the same trip in june july so wen i got my colorado i got the tyers swaped paid the diff for the betta tyers 4x4 monthly i think it was AT tyers pirelli scorpions 265/70/16 factory came with 245's way to tiny iv been to rainbow did the job well on the beach and the freashwater track

the big test will be the cape the best thing you could do is go to your local arb store or camping store and buy or hire some dvds cape trips so then you can see what your up for snorkle is a must
AnswerID: 349256

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:37

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:37
Shane, I don't like to be picky mate, but really....... your punctuation (or rather, the lack of it) totally destroys your attempt to communicate!!!

On my computer's keyboard, there is a button located 2 to the right of the "M" button. It is called a "full stop". The one between it and the "M" button is called a "comma". When used correctly, these 2 keys have the ability to totally change the intended meaning of a sentence.

FollowupID: 617512

Follow Up By: shaneo86 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 22:31

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 22:31
Hey mate, this is Shane's girl, I know Shane has trouble with his English but you should be glad he can even speak... and for your information, he's a blonde. So please be easy on him for me. I'd really appericate it. :)
Also, a question... are you an English teacher? You sound like my old English teacher. No offence though! :)
My name is Sharlene by the way.
FollowupID: 617531

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:42

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:42
G'day Sharlene,
No, I'm not a English teacher.....but I have been a banker (that's with a "b", not a "w"..... hahaha) for over 38 years, so I have had to compose a LOT of important letters and other documents over that period.
I meant what I said at the start....that I didn't want to seem picky.....
There are a lot of blokes on this forum who give the impression they "zoned-out" during their English lessons at school (and, quite frankly, I don't blame them for that....it is a hideously boring subject I reckon).

I can live with spelling mistakes...... (the number of educated people who still can't work out when to type either: "there".....or "their" ...... or "they're" is astounding). No, that's wasn't the problem with Shane's comments....it was just the sentences all rang into one another and changed the whole meaning of what he was trying to say.

Cheers, and no hard feelings...

Roachie
FollowupID: 617582

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:15

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:15
...............and as you can see by looking at my response above; I certainly ain't perfect either......hahahaha typed "rang" when I meant "ran"........

All in good fun......

Roachie
FollowupID: 617603

Reply By: Member - Stephen B (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:45

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:45
Thanks Shane.

X trail is Auto I have the original tyres but will swap them for ATs. Some one said the Xtrail auto would not make it as it had no low range. it has six speed manual though. I think it is a rip off in $$$$$ when all you get is someone to show you the sites.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 349266

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:47

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:47
Great Divide Tours do driver training in Braidwood, Member Wayne is one of the tour guides for them as well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 349267

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:02

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:02
You might get more replies if you amend your heading.

FollowupID: 617501

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:06

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:06
Yeah that too, may stop all the Kiwis opening the thread hahahaha

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 617504

Follow Up By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:25

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:25
I was really hoping you weren't going diving at Cape York!!!!!
FollowupID: 617508

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 14:20

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 14:20
Done!

MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 617621

Reply By: Member - "The Doctor" (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:24

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:24
Gday Stephen,

I was in the same boat afew years ago. Im in Revesby and looked into driver training courses. Went to the 4WD,CAMPING AND BLAH BLAH BLAH MEGASHOW at Rosehill. Heaps of Organisations there that will guide/confuse you.

I decided on Vic and his team from Great Divide Tours. A great 2 day course down at his property in Braidwood. Everything from where your recovery points are to snatched recoveries winching and everything in between. Perfect for the novice, which I was.

Went to the Cape last July in a tag a long tour with David and Justine Olsen's Tag-a-long tours. They are based in Townsville. http://www.djolsen.com/

ABSOLUTLY THE BEST ADVENTURE MY WIFE AND I HAVE HAD!!!! 20 DAYS of excellent 4WDing, camping, sights and stories around the camp fire. They run shorter trips too but I recommend the 20 day'er. The Cape is a spectacular place and you dont want to rush it.

All permits, jardine river passes, camping permits (Punsand Bay, Morton Telegraph Station, Lions Den, Endeavour Falls and a stack of others) all taken care of. And also other great tours and tracks which some groups may overlook.

As for the X-trail, It'll do it no worries. Whack a good set of shock absorbers on it and away you go. (the corrugations are unbelievable)

Other than that, do ya homework, this forum is the best place for useful and not so useful advice.

Good luck

The Dr.

AnswerID: 349280

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 06:00

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 06:00
Hi Stephan,
Another option to consider would be to join a 4X4 club. On this page for the NSW Club Association there is a list of clubs in NSW. Some clubs offer driver training as part of their joining package, and the other benefit is that once you're a member, you can pick the brains of the other members for do's and don't of just about any trip imaginable. Throw a few weekend camps into the mix and you get to practice your newly aquired skills. And you never know, there just may be some other members either already planning to go to the Cape, or happy to come along with you.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 349323

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:17

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:17
You dont say if your planning on going up / down the OTL or the bypass road , lots of even 2wd manage the bypass rd ,, lots of full on 4x4 get stuck on the OTL ,, time and the weather are of major import as well.
AnswerID: 349367

Reply By: briann532 - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:49

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:49
Stephen,

I am president of a 4WD club near parramatta.
We offer a full range of VETAB accredited training.
It is free to all club members.
Membership is only $60.

We cater to all types of 4wd's in a friendly, fun, family orientated environment.
We have a training day coming up soon
email me bandj@ihug.com.au if you want any more info

Brian
AnswerID: 349369

Reply By: Member - Stephen B (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:48

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:48
Thanks People for your advice. Sorry about the punctuation. This is my first 4x4 and all I need is help. I appreciate that there is a lot of knowledge (Pro Bono) out there. The one thing I have learnt in life is that criticism is the best thing one can heep on other, as long as it is helpful criticism that one can learn from. Please give me more.

I have noted the ideas forwarded and will act on them. Appreciated. Steve B

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 349525

Sponsored Links